In order to help the international shoppers navigate between the localized versions of your site, we will be adding a navigation feature to both the domestic and the translated pages. This feature is called the "Country selector"
If you wish to change its design in line with your brand needs, this is how you can customize your country selector.
Implementation of this feature provides the following value:
- It allows your shoppers to easily navigate between the sites and find the one that suits their needs best.
- It allows your shoppers to switch currency and/or language while browsing a given country site
- It adds links (good for SEO) to the localized sites which should translate into organic traffic and orders.
- It shows Google that the localized sites are not duplicated content.
- A localized experience improves the likelihood of conversion
There are two ways to implement a country selector:
- Country Selector widget
This drop down selector is most efficient in communicating to your shoppers the possibility of choosing a different country version of your page. It also allows to switch currency and/or language while browsing a given page.
* recommended if:
- you are ok with this implementation and it does not disturb your site's design.
- if you don't have a dev team (internal or external), e.g. if your store is set up on a platform like Shopify or BigCommerce which allow you to manage everything on your own without the need of being an expert coder
Country selector widget
Country selector popup, after clicking the widget
Default Positioning (no dev on your end)
The available positions are:
One of our Agents prior to launching the international sites will check whether the position of the Country Selector works with your page's design. If you, however, feel its placement is not optimal, you can modify the position yourself directly from your Merchant account under the section Localization > Localized sites > Country selector.
If none of the proposed 6 positions above meets your needs, you could follow below instructions to set up a custom positioning for your country selector widget.
Custom Positioning (requires small dev on your end)
Please note that you will need a small dev to apply a custom positioning to the Country Selector widget.
a) Create a placeholder element and assign ID=glopal_cs_position
b) Place this element wherever you want the Country Selector widget to appear on your page
This element may look like this:
Please reach out to one of our Agents for further assistance.
2. Add a link to the country selector page in the footer:
If, for whatever reason, you would like to not have the Country Selector widget be available to your international buyers, please be informed, that there is an alternative solution - adding a link to the footer of your domestic page, pointing to your country selector page.
Example: Country selector page
* recommended if:
- the Country Selector widget does not suit your needs
- if you have a dev team available (internal or external) as this implementation requires some additional coding work on your end
If this is the route you would like to take, please reach out to your dedicated Account Manager (if you are a Pro Plan subscriber) or one of our Customer Care Agents and you will be provided with the instructions.