Ready to start selling internationally?
In a few simple steps, you can set up your PayPal Business account to accept payments in foreign currencies, and convert them to USD automatically, manually, or not at all.
Currently, PayPal is available in over 200 countries and regions and supports 25 different currencies. PayPal also offers a variety of account types depending on your needs. These different account types come with their own set of services, guidelines, and fees.
You can choose to convert foreign payments into U.S. dollars or other currencies automatically or manually.
Convert foreign payments automatically.
- Log in to your PayPal Business account. Click Profile, then select Profile Settings.
- Click on My Selling Tools. Then, select Update on the Block Payments line. First, make sure this box is unchecked to allow PayPal account holders from other countries to pay you online.
Every time a sale is made, the foreign currencies are converted at the latest conversion rates and credited to your PayPal Business account in U.S. dollars. Or, you can choose to convert them manually yourself at every transaction.
Convert foreign payments manually.
When you choose to approve each foreign currency conversion manually, we’ll notify you each time you receive a foreign payment.
- To approve the transaction, select Activity from the main menu. Look for the pending payment in the transaction list and click Accept.
- Select the Accept this payment, convert it to USD, and then click Submit. The amount is converted at the latest applicable conversion rate and is then credited to your PayPal Business account. International payments are charged a percentage of the transaction amount on top of the exchange rate.
Hold payments in foreign currencies.
You can hold balances in foreign currencies in your PayPal Business account. Payments made in these currencies are no longer converted to U.S. dollars, but instead are kept in the foreign currency. The benefit of this is that you can arrange conversion yourself, anytime.
- To do this, select Money from the main menu.
- Click on Manage Currencies.
- Select the foreign currency you want to hold and then click Add Currency.
A separate currency balance for Euros is now set up in your PayPal Business account.
And that’s it. You’re now ready to accept and manage international payments.